maandag 23 mei 2011

Head, kinda done ...

Last time I wrote here, I was struggling with attaching my ear to the rest of the head. I found a nice way to loop my edges resulting in nothing but quads, and still a nice smooth result:



After this was done, all that remained was starting to unwrap my UV's, and add the texturing. 

Unwrapping the UV's seemed a daunting task, especially for something organic like a human head. I spent some time manually tweaking, and going through it meticulously. Until I watched a tutorial explaining that since maya 2009, there is a relax and unfold tool available in Maya's UV editor. Messing around with those I had a basic unwrap I could work with. now came the hard part: Texturing.


Texturing is something I've never really gotten into. So my photoshop skills in the area are quite lacking. I found it very hard deforming my pictures as to correspond with my UV map. So again, I cheated a bit. 

Using Adobe photoshop extended, it's possible to create a 3d layer. Using an exported version of my head model, I created a 3d layer in photoshop. Texturing then becomes a game of adjusting a layer above your 3d model, then merge it down onto the model. This is the tutorial I used to achieve my results:





I then created a specular map by desaturating and manually adjusting here and there, and I ended up with these maps:


These are far from perfect, mainly due to the lack of decent photoshop skills. But for now, they'll do the job!


the eyes I created separately and still need some work on their materials:



Next up, I'll experiment with SSS on this model. 

As always, criticism is much appreciated. 



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten